With all of the contention, confusion and conflict over worship music, it is therefore very helpful for a church and it's members to know what constitutes a good worship song. Here are five criteria:
- It’s singable. The average person should be able to learn it after hearing it a few times.
- It’s culturally relevant. The song should represent a music style that is familiar to most of the people.
- It’s theologically sound. The song should reflect good biblical theology.
- It’s playable. Church musicians should be able to play and lead the song with excellence (assuming they have practiced and prepared).
- It’s understandable. The message of the song should be clear and unambiguous.