Here are a few lessons I have learned over the years …
- Let Them Lead—Don’t ask a high impact volunteer to join your team if you’re not ready to let them lead. Make room for your team to actually lead with you!
- Take Time to Listen—If you have a high impact team around you, create time to really listen to what they are experiencing.
- Be Patient—Volunteers have limited time, so remember to breathe and be a little more patient.
- Share Clear Expectations—Make sure your team knows exactly what you need from them and what they are responsible for.
- Continually Cast Vision—Our teams need us to continually point them back to the mission and vision … not just to their ministry to-do list!
- Say Thanks—Everyone needs to hear it. Find many different ways to say it.
- Communicate Consistently—Keep them in the loop with what you are thinking. Keep your team up to speed.
- Work Together—Take time to work on projects with the different people on your team! Time working together is great time to train.
- Be a Problem Solver—Work to remove obstacles that are in your team’s way!
- Celebrate Wins—Slow down and take time to celebrate with your team.
- Find Creative Rewards—You may not be able to pay all your team, but find small ways to reward them.