from the archives:
There is no escaping it, pastors and ministry leaders are busy people. And although much of that busyness may be justified - a leader must guard themselves from becoming burned out.
Here are 10 Ways to Create Margin In Your Life
1) Use all of your vacation days. You've got em - use em. You owe it to yourself and your family.
2) Protect your day off religiously. On that day disconnect - no phone, no email
3) Don't schedule meeting back to back if you can help it. If you do, you will feel ragged and rushed throughout your day.
4) Make sure that you delegate more responsibility.
5) Only check email during designated times during the day. A good rule of thumb is that is should usually take place at 10am and 3pm - basically mid-morning and mid-afternoon
6) Get up earlier in the morning. Which conversely means you may need to go to bed early.
7) Put meetings with God and yourself in your schedule book. Make sure you take extended times, like a day, with the Lord periodically.
8) Turn off the TV and/or the internet.
9) Learn how to say NO.
10) Exercise. You don't have enough time or energy NOT to work out.
(ht: Mark Batterson)