“First impressions can greatly impact the emotion consumers feel for a brand. What are first impressions like for your customers?” - The Disney Institute via Twitter
First impressions of your church and Sunday worship are important to guests. Therefore it is so important that you get your head out of the clouds and pay attention to the right things. You want to be able to look at them with fresh eyes. Here are some things to consider that will help you answer the question: What are first impressions like for your guests?
1. Pay attention to your physical environments:
- architectural design
- design on carpet
- texture of surfaces
- focal points and directional signs
- music/ambient noise
- floor plan
- Where are they?
- How easily identifiable are they?
- What do they have permission to do and say?
- Are they sensitive to guests?
- Do they know how to spot a first-time guest?
- What are they wearing?
Systems are how you do things or how you ask people to do things. In churches, systems are things like . . . how someone registers for camp, how a new volunteer signs up to serve, how someone signs up for online-giving, how parents enroll their children into a class, how someone joins a small group, etc.
Make sure your systems are…
- clear – This is what I do.
- easy – This is simple to do.
- results – This gets me where I want to go.