- Where there is no vision, the people cast off restraint (Proverbs 29:18)
- Without vision: family members eat separately in their own rooms; churches argue; companies only have employees
- "Without vision, people will define their own vision and the loudest voice will prevail."
- Vision unifies us around a preferred future; a future that can’t be accomplished by myself.
- Great leaders cast a clear, concise and compelling vision.
- "If your vision doesn't scare you, then both your vision and your God are too small." - Brother Andrew
- For vision to to motivate it must connect on 3 levels:
1) Mind-to-Mind – Vision is strategic. While your vision may be, as Jim Collins says, "big, hairy and audacious," people have to believe that it is attainable. When you connect, it becomes “OUR PLAN” and people give their resources.
2) Heart to Heart – Vision is passionate. When people see you, they see, feel and taste the vision. It becomes something you were created for and are willing to die for. When you
connect, it becomes “OUR DESIRE” and people give their life.
3) Soul-to-Soul – Vision is personal. It comes from God but it permeates your life. A calling. A confidence that IT will be accomplished. When you connect, it becomes “OUR CALLING” and people take responsibility.
- Winston Churchill believed that leadership's foundation was vision. He had five tools he used when he got ready to communicate vision. Here they are:
TOOL ONE: STRONG BEGINNING (CAPTURE THEIR ATTENTION)
TOOL TWO: ONE THEME (STAY FOCUSED)
TOOL THREE: SIMPLE LANGUAGE (EASY TO UNDERSTAND)
TOOL FOUR: WORD PICTURES: (STORIES AND ILLUSTRATIONS)
TOOL FIVE: EMOTIONAL ENDING (A COMPELLING CONCLUSION)
- And take this poem by Sir Francis Drake to heart:
Disturb us, Lord, when
We are too well pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we have dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore.
Disturb us, Lord, when
With the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth,
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.
Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wider seas
Where storms will show your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.
We ask You to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push into the future
In strength, courage, hope, and love.